The Parenting Network offers a free, ongoing support group for grandparents and other relatives parenting again. This group meets the first Wednesday of each month from 6:00 to 7:30 pm at The Parenting Network, 7516 W. Burleigh Street, Milwaukee. Onsite child care is provided at no cost.
“Relatives caring for minor children are often a hidden population,” said Jan Buchler, Executive Director of The Parenting Network. “Wisconsin census data from 2000 indicate nearly 50,000 children under the age of 18 reside with their grandparents. That doesn’t include children living with other relatives. This program reaches a critically important, and often underserved, group of caregivers.”
The “Grandparents and Other Relatives Parenting Again” program addresses topics and concerns to those who find themselves unexpectedly in a parenting role. This group gives participants a chance to share their experiences and feel understood, exchange ideas and concerns, learn about community resources, and discuss child development.
To register for “Grandparents and Other Relatives Parenting Again,” call the Parent Helpline at (414)671-0566. For more information, please visit theparentingnetwork.org.
This support group is offered through a partnership between The Parenting Network and the Family Caregiver Support Network of Interfaith Older Adults Programs.
# # #
Since 1977, The Parenting Network has served Milwaukee families with the mission to strengthen parenting and to prevent child abuse. Services include a 24-hour Parent Helpline, parenting education and support programs, home visitation and case management services, and sexual violence and teen pregnancy prevention programming for middle and high school students. For more information about programs at The Parenting Network, please call the Parent Helpline at (414)671-0566 or visit us at theparentingnetwork.org.
- It's South Shore Frolics Time!
- HamBINGO Thursday December 10 benefiting Second Hand Purrs
- Continue honoring our veterans by helping them quit tobacco
- Jewelrly and Chili Sale Heats Up St. Ann Center
- Veg Out All Winter at St. Ann Center's Indoor Farmers Market
- HamBINGO Thursday October 8 to Benefit Second Hand Purrs
- Milwaukee Public Library, Bay View Branch to Host Wisconsin Water Photo Display
- Pizzeria Piccola Society Sunday August 16 Benefiting Second Hand Purrs
- Healing In The Garden
- Back to School Event for Foster Children Urges Public to Volunteer