Lake Express Ferry and Milwaukee Bicycle Collective Partner in Earth Week Bicycle Drive
The Lake Express ferry and Milwaukee Bicycle Collective will team-up during Earth Week to promote “green” travel by collecting gently-used bicycles for the inner-city residents of Milwaukee. In exchange for each donated bicycle, donors will receive a $50 certificate from the Travel Green Certified Lake Express ferry. The two organizations are partnering to encourage environmentally-friendly travel while also supporting the needs of the community.
“Lake Express is committed to offering Milwaukeeans fun, safe and convenient transportation options that respect and protect our environment,” said Ken Szallai, president of Lake Express. “By partnering with the Milwaukee Bicycle Collective, we are able to promote green travel while also supporting a worthy, environmentally conscientious organization that is committed to helping Milwaukee’s residents.”
The Milwaukee Bicycle Collective strives to provide an affordable resource for bicycle repair, and access to bicycle transportation that is otherwise not available for inner-city Milwaukee residents, while also encouraging environmentally-sustainable use and recycling of bicycle materials.
“The need for bicycles in Milwaukee’s inner city is always greater than the supply, so we’re excited about this year’s partnership with Lake Express,” said Will Kort of Milwaukee Bicycle Collective. “Lake Express has shown a continued commitment to employing environmentally sound practices, which line up well with our own principles.”
Lake Express first received the Travel Green Certification from the Wisconsin Department of Tourism in 2008. Since then, the ferry has been recognized for innovative green practices such as pumping all waste aboard the vessel into an on-shore sewer system, removing more than 25,000 vehicles off the road annually, meeting or exceeding all Environmental Protection Agency air quality standards, and more.
To donate a bicycle to the Milwaukee Bike Collective in exchange for a $50 certificate for the Lake Express ferry, donors can bring their gently-used bicycles to the Lake Express Ferry terminal located at 2330 S. Lincoln Memorial Drive between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday, April 19 through Friday, April 23. Limit of one certificate per donor.
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- Back To School....BBB Reminds You To Shop Smart!
- Railway Adventure Trip
- First Annual St. Robert Pretzel Run Offers Participants Fun and a Tasty Treat
- 15th Stu's Flooring Benefit Golf Outing Tees Off
- 40th Anniversary of the SM 1976 State Basketball Champs
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market temporarily moves for Evening on the Avenue Street Festival
- St Francis School District Rummage Sale
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Presents: The Donny McCaslin Group- Musicians on David Bowie's Blackstar