Tour on Sat., July 25 from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Will Benefit the Shorewood DPW
Shorewood is a treasure trove of some of the most fabulous private gardens on the north shore. Most of us only get a chance to get a peek at them once a year and that’s coming up at the 4th annual Gardens Tour on Saturday, July 25 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., rain or shine. Whether you’re a novice or an expert, you won’t want to miss this adventure into exquisite gardens in full bloom, beautiful landscaping and unique, decorative garden art.
As part of this special day, Melinda Myers, Milwaukee’s own “Plant Doctor,” will be at the Eastwood Condominiums courtyard, 3942 N. Oakland, from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. to answer gardening questions. Myers, best known for her gardener-friendly and practical approach to landscaping, has more than 25 years of horticulture experience. She has authored 19 books, has been the host of “Great Lakes Gardener” on PBS, and appears regularly on network television and radio throughout the country. Her books will be available for sale and signing.
The focus of this year’s tour is outdoor living. Some of Shorewood’s most imaginative and talented gardeners will graciously open their gardens to share their ideas in creating a seamless flow between outdoor and indoor living spaces. Tour-goers can pick-up innovative ideas for their own yards and see the new trend in creating spaces where families, friends and neighbors play, relax, cook, entertain and celebrate.
Stops on the self-guided tour will include residential gardens, plus the rain garden adjacent to Village Hall, the Meditation Garden at St. Robert Church and the rooftop garden at the Garden Room.
Tickets are $10 and are available at Shorewood Village Hall; the Department of Public Works (DPW), 3801 N. Morris Blvd.; the Garden Room, 2701 E. Capitol Dr.; and Bayside Garden Center, 400 E. Brown Deer Rd. - or may be purchased at any of the gardens on tour day. New this year! Custom-created cards, featuring colorful garden photos including some of the Shorewood gardens on the tour, will be available for purchase at the Eastwood Condominiums. A packet of 10 cards with envelopes is $12. After the tour, cards will be available for purchase at Village Hall and the Shorewood DPW.
Tour and notecard proceeds will benefit the Shorewood DPW, and will be used to purchase annual flowers for Village boulevards and planters. Sue Ewens, DPW Friend’s chair, says she is very pleased to have Melinda Myers as the special guest. “She’s a wonderful attraction and tour-goers will get the added value of her expertise and viewing some of Shorewood’s more unique gardens.”
Melinda Myers’ appearance is sponsored by Kanavas Landscape Management of Elm Grove, Wis. Professional staff from Kanavas will join Myers to answer landscaping questions.
Gardens on the Tour
• 4105 N. Farwell Ave.
• 4113-4115 N. Bartlett Ave.
• 4395 N. Wildwood Ave
• 4433 N. Woodburn St..
• 4461 N. Lake Dr.
• Rooftop garden at Garden Room, 2107 E. Capitol Dr.
• Courtyard at Eastwood Condominiums, 3942 N. Oakland Ave.
• Mary’s Garden at St. Robert Church, Farwell Ave. and Capitol Dr. (next to St. Robert rectory)
• Rain Garden at Village Center, 3930 N. Murray Ave.
For more information, call the Customer Service Desk at Shorewood Village Hall at 414.847.2700 or the Shorewood DPW at 414.847.2650.
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- Meijer to Sponsor Six Flags Great America Back-2-School Blast
- The Starr Group Hires Marco Briceno
- First Annual St. Robert Pretzel Run Offers Participants Fun and a Tasty Treat
- Appliance Gallery Offers Maintenance Tips for Kitchen Appliances
- Alverno College Names Jessica Ott Director of Athletics
- Summer Concert Series at Sinai
- Alverno College Names Karin Wasiullah Associate Dean of Nursing
- Shorewood Free Summer Concert Series Returns
- Used Book Sale to Benefit Golden Retriever Rescue of Wisconsin