Stay Cool - But Keep an Eye on the Pool
As we head into the “dog days” of summer and hotter days ahead, swimming pools will become even more popular with families and friends looking to cool off from the intense summer heat. Unfortunately, swimming pools, large and small, can also be the site of injuries and accidental deaths for children.
A pool is a wonderful play area for the whole family, as long as it is kept safe. In addition to the fences required in many communities, pool owners should also consider creating layers of protection around the pool. “This means setting up as many barriers as possible so that children do not get into the pool area when not in use,” says local Allstate Insurance agent Andrew McCabe “This would include installing door alarms, locks and safety covers to help prevent accidents.”
Pool owners should also be aware of the liability they may face should someone become injured in or around the water. It’s a good idea to have a conversation with your insurance agent to make sure you carry proper homeowners coverage and that your policy is updated to cover the added value of any improvements or additions to your property.
In addition to providing barriers and constant supervision, Allstate and The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) offers these tips to help prevent accidental drowning deaths:
• Since every second counts, always look for a missing child in the pool first. Precious time is often wasted looking for missing children anywhere but in the pool.
• Don’t leave toys and floats in the pool that can attract young children and cause them to fall in the water when they reach for the items.
• For above-ground and inflatable pools with ladders, remove or secure the ladder when the pool is not in use.
• Even if children can swim, the possibility of an accidental drowning still exists. Always supervise children using the pool.
For more information on this and other safety topics, please contact Allstate agent Andrew McCabe at 414-961-1166.
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- New Brookfield Nutrition Office Open August 1
- Meijer to Sponsor Six Flags Great America Back-2-School Blast
- The Starr Group Hires Marco Briceno
- First Annual St. Robert Pretzel Run Offers Participants Fun and a Tasty Treat
- Cigar Networkers of Milwaukee Presents - 10 Things You Should Never Do As a Cigar Smoker
- Tour to New York, Atlantic City and Philadelphia!
- Appliance Gallery Offers Maintenance Tips for Kitchen Appliances
- Silver Spring Drive Sidewalk Sale-A-Bration to Include 5 Card Studs Friday Evening and a Saturday Afternoon Adventure Zone
- Friday, August 19: I AM... I CAN... I WILL...