The Parenting Network seeks volunteers to lead parent education and support groups at locations throughout Milwaukee County.
“We are seeing an increased need in the community for specialized parenting groups,” said Jan Buchler, Executive Director of The Parenting Network. “With volunteers who have the time, skill and commitment to helping families, we can meet this need.”
The Parenting Network is looking for volunteers to help with three programs: Dad Matters, a weekly educational group for dads; InsideOut Dad, a parent education program for incarcerated dads; and a Circle of Parents support group for different parenting populations, particularly moms residing in transitional living housing.
The Parenting Network’s Group Facilitation Skills Training fully prepares individuals to facilitate or co-facilitate groups of parents and caregivers using evidence-based curricula. The training covers group dynamics, child development information, and active listening skills so that volunteers have the necessary skills and confidence they need to effectively facilitate a parenting group. Volunteer facilitators must be willing to commit to at least two hours per week for a full year.
“The training was very interactive and fun,” said Jeff Phillips, a volunteer who co-facilitates the Dad Matters group on Saturday mornings. “This experience changed the way I look at parenting.”
Group Facilitation Skills Training will be held at The Parenting Network at 7516 W. Burleigh St., Milwaukee. The training is open to volunteers and professionals. The training runs 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 27 and Wednesday September 28, and 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, September 29. A continental breakfast and lunch are provided. The cost for training is $195, a fee which is reimbursable upon completion of one year of volunteer service to The Parenting Network.
To register for this training series or to learn more about volunteer opportunities at The Parenting Network, contact Ruth Miller at email@example.com or 414/671-5575 x30. Registration deadline is September 21. For more information about The Parenting Network, please visit theparentingnetwork.org.
# # # # #
Since 1977, The Parenting Network has served families throughout the greater Milwaukee community through its mission to strengthen parenting and to prevent child abuse. Services are provided:
• At Home – home visiting and case management services for families in need
• At School – healthy relationship education to prevent sexual violence and teen pregnancy; parenting education for expectant and parenting teens
• In the Community – confidential Parent Helpline and a wide variety of parenting education and support classes and groups developed for specific parenting populations at sites throughout Milwaukee County
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- New Brookfield Nutrition Office Open August 1
- Meijer to Sponsor Six Flags Great America Back-2-School Blast
- The Starr Group Hires Marco Briceno
- First Annual St. Robert Pretzel Run Offers Participants Fun and a Tasty Treat
- Cigar Networkers of Milwaukee Presents - 10 Things You Should Never Do As a Cigar Smoker
- Tour to New York, Atlantic City and Philadelphia!
- Appliance Gallery Offers Maintenance Tips for Kitchen Appliances
- Silver Spring Drive Sidewalk Sale-A-Bration to Include 5 Card Studs Friday Evening and a Saturday Afternoon Adventure Zone
- Friday, August 19: I AM... I CAN... I WILL...