Kids who are ready to take off their training wheels and learn to ride confidently and safely on a two-wheeler are invited to attend a free “First Ride” clinic on Saturday, June 11 from 9-11 a.m. held on the west playground at Atwater Elementary School, 2100 East Capitol Drive in Shorewood.
The event, the first of its kind in the Milwaukee area, is presented by Rainbow Jersey Bicycles, the Shorewood Business Improvement District (BID) and the Shorewood branch of PNC Bank.
This unique workshop is designed to help kids 10 and under learn to balance and feel comfortable their first time with training wheels off. It leverages a proven “balancing first” method that begins with actually removing the bike’s pedals, and also lowering the seat during practice. The class is also helpful for parents, as it provides them with an easier teaching method that can help eliminate skinned knees and frayed nerves from a sometimes frustrating learning process. Professionals from Shorewood-based Rainbow Jersey Bicycles as well as police officers from the Village of Shorewood will lead the training session.
Pre-registration for “First Ride” is required. Parents can get a sign-up sheet at www.shorewoodwi.com, or in person at Rainbow Jersey Bicycles, 4600 North Wilson Drive in Shorewood. Class size is limited, so early registration is encouraged. Kids need to bring their own bike and helmet to the class.
“The first bike ride your child takes without training wheels is such a special milestone, and we as a business community are excited to help parents and kids make it more enjoyable and as stress-free as possible,” said Jim Plaisted, Executive Director of the Shorewood BID.
The “First Ride” clinic is part of the Shorewood BID’s “Tour de Shops” retail event, June 11-15, which leads up to the Shorewood Criterium Cycling Classic on Thursday, June 16 beginning at 5 p.m. The Criterium is presented by Shorewood BID and features international professional and amateur cyclists. It is the first race in the 2011 Tour of America’s Dairyland series of cycling races throughout the state of Wisconsin.
The Shorewood Business Improvement District was established by commercial property owners and the Village of Shorewood in 1999 to promote the neighborhood as a premier destination for retail and service businesses to locate and thrive.
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- New Brookfield Nutrition Office Open August 1
- Meijer to Sponsor Six Flags Great America Back-2-School Blast
- The Starr Group Hires Marco Briceno
- First Annual St. Robert Pretzel Run Offers Participants Fun and a Tasty Treat
- Cigar Networkers of Milwaukee Presents - 10 Things You Should Never Do As a Cigar Smoker
- Tour to New York, Atlantic City and Philadelphia!
- Appliance Gallery Offers Maintenance Tips for Kitchen Appliances
- Silver Spring Drive Sidewalk Sale-A-Bration to Include 5 Card Studs Friday Evening and a Saturday Afternoon Adventure Zone
- Friday, August 19: I AM... I CAN... I WILL...