Wales, WI. Eighteen Brown Deer ABS students took home a top-5 win on Saturday, January 8th for their annual DECA District Competition, held at Kettle Moraine High School. Thirty-one schools from around southeastern Wisconsin brought over 800 students to compete for spots on their respective high school state-competition teams.
DECA competitors choose one of 20 different occupational series to compete in (from Accounting Applications to Sports/Entertainment Marketing) and complete marketing and math/economics tests as well as two case study role plays with business professionals who serve as judges. In March, students who were successful at the District level will compete at the Wisconsin State DECA Career Development Conference, held in Lake Geneva, with the hopes of being invited to join Wisconsin’s team at the International Competition in Orlando, Florida later this year.
Brenda Barrales and Kelsey Greuel: 1st Place: Hospitality Series (2 contest medals and a
series finalist medal)
Rob Davis: 2nd Place: Business Services Series (3 contest medals and a series finalist medal)
Elyssa Mullings and Shavon Tucker: 2nd Place: Travel and Tourism Series (1 contest medal and a series finalist medal)
Geoff Gilles: 4th Place: Business Services Series (2 contest medals and a series finalist medal)
Steven Wade: Honorable Mention: Hotel and Lodging Series (1 contest medal)
Elizabeth Avilia: Honorable Mention: Hotel and Lodging Series (1 contest medal)
Brown Deer qualified for 15 state competition spots and has three students who have turned in applications to be screened as Wisconsin DECA state executive board candidates. The International Career Development Conference will be held April 27th – May 1st in Orlando, Florida. 15,000 high school DECA members are expected to attend this event from around the world.
DECA… An Association of Marketing Students is a non-profit, co-curricular student organization that serves students who are interested in pursuing careers in marketing, management, and entrepreneurship. Brown Deer’s chapter is coached by Ms. Christine Slater, marketing teacher at Brown Deer High School.
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- New Brookfield Nutrition Office Open August 1
- Meijer to Sponsor Six Flags Great America Back-2-School Blast
- The Starr Group Hires Marco Briceno
- First Annual St. Robert Pretzel Run Offers Participants Fun and a Tasty Treat
- Cigar Networkers of Milwaukee Presents - 10 Things You Should Never Do As a Cigar Smoker
- Tour to New York, Atlantic City and Philadelphia!
- Appliance Gallery Offers Maintenance Tips for Kitchen Appliances
- Silver Spring Drive Sidewalk Sale-A-Bration to Include 5 Card Studs Friday Evening and a Saturday Afternoon Adventure Zone
- Friday, August 19: I AM... I CAN... I WILL...