Getting some badly needed exposure and experience for their still-building clubs, the Shorewood and Whitefish Bay softball teams attempted to move up in the area world of fastpitch by co-hosting a tournament Saturday.
And though neither team got close to winning the event, Greyhound coach Dave Berghaus thinks the experience was worthwhile.
"Co-hosting a tournament means a lot to us," said Berghaus. "To have teams come to our new field and to have the opportunity to compete on a decent level against teams we usually don't see will definitely help us."
The Greyhounds dropped a 7-2 decision to Wauwatosa East and a 16-2 game to Milwaukee Hamilton at the event. Bay lost to Wauwatosa West 12-4, and eventual champion Brookfield Central, 6-0.
In Bay's losses, pitcher Jo Ruppa had double digit strikeouts (12 against West and 10 vs. Central), but the Blue Dukes combined for only seven hits in the two games. Ruppa had two of the hits in the loss against West.
For the Greyhounds, good moments were relatively easy to find
"Against East, we played solid defense throughout the game," said Berghaus, "but we could not string any hits. Defensive gems were a diving stop by Quincy Rice at second and throwing from her knees to get a runner at first. Also, catcher Raifeh Saqer threw out a runner for the second straight game."
Other highlights included Celia Carroll's defense and a home run from Addie Prochnow.
"We are fairly young, but we continue to work hard and are striving to get better every day," said Berghaus.
The Greyhounds also outlasted Brown Deer in a crazy 20-16 Woodland Conference game on April 27.
A seven-run sixth did the job for Shorewood as Prochnow had three hits and three runs scored, Carroll, three hits, three runs scored, a home run and five RBI; Rice two hits and three RBI; and pitcher Kaitlyn Wick two doubles and three RBI. Wick also had eight strikeouts on the hill.
For the Falcons, Amy Wisotske had two hits as did Alyson Herkowski, who also scored two runs.
- Kasmarick adjusting to life as Whitefish Bay athletic director
- Whitefish Bay baseball team ends Shorewood magic with regional win
- Baseball: West Bend West's Burns beats Whitefish Bay baseball team on mound, at plate in sectional
- Baseball: Whitefish Bay baseball team wins regioinal title over Shorewood, 9-3
- Baseball : Whitefish Bay baseball team advances with 4-0 win over Brown Deer
- Whitefish Bay baseball team sarts to find direction in win over Nicolet
- Whitefish Bay All-Suburban choice Koehn led Bay softball team this season
- Whitefish Bay hires new hockey, volleyball coaches
- Whitefish Bay baseball team looking for consistency
- Whitefish Bay baseball team bounces back with win over Nicolet