Whitefish Bay is the latest community in Wisconsin looking to become a Bird City USA community, with backing by the Whitefish Bay Garden Club and Whitefish Bay Civic Foundation.
Bird City USA is Bayside-based organization that was created a year ago through participation with the Milwaukee Audubon Society. It is designed to promote bird conservation by working with member municipalities to examine best practices for bird habitats.
Designees hold a ceremonial event that includes a plaque presentation and educational events. To qualify, a municipality needs to pay $100 annually and go through a comprehensive application process.
The Village Board approved moving forward with the application process Monday with the caveat the membership fee be split in thirds between the Garden Club, Civic Foundation and the village's operating budget.
- Whitefish Bay family's treehouse is a work of art
- Whitefish Bay woman takes home grand prize at the Hottest Kitchen Entrepreneur Challenge
- Animator of 'Yellow Submarine' and other influential shows will appear in Whitefish Bay
- Whitefish Bay sleep consultant is a dream come true for North Shore parents (2)
- After extensive cancer treatment, Whitefish Bay mom finds new purpose in ice pops (1)
- Whitefish Bay entrepreneur wants to revolutionize school fundraisers
- Whitefish Bay's 28 minutes of fame is 'Around the Corner' (2)
- Whitefish Bay's first ice cream social of the season is June 15 (1)
- Whitefish Bay Community Band sets summer schedule
- Memorial Day ceremony planned in Whitefish Bay