Whitefish Bay — Whitefish Bay High School's ACT scores have once again topped all other public schools in the state.
Whitefish Bay's Class of 2014 earned an average ACT score of 26.7, with 88.5 percent of students taking the test. Last year's senior class not only beat out the rest of the schools in the state, but also beat their predecesors in the Whitefish Bay Class of 2013, which led state public schools with an average ACT score of 26.
Whitefish Bay Superintendent Laura Myrah said the high school's most recent ACT score are in keeping with a long tradition of high test scores in the district.
"To our knowledge, we are the only public school district in Wisconsin that has scored above 25 on the ACT for 16 years in a row," Myrah said. "We attribute that success to our top-notch faculty up through all grade levels, our highly supportive and engaged families, and most obviously to our bright, hard-working students."
Not far behind Whitefish Bay was Homestead High School, where graduated seniors recorded the highest average ACT score in the history of the high school with a score of 26. Homestead ranked third among public schools in the state, tailing behind 26 by students from Williams Bay High School.
Homestead's Class of 2014 improved one full point from the previous year's class, which posted an average score of 25. Eighty-eight percent of students took the ACT test at Homestead High School last year. This is the eighth consecutive year that Homestead has reached an average ACT score of at least 25.
"Such high levels of success translate into countless opportunities for our students, with over 90 percent of Homestead graduates gaining admission into a post-secondary option of their choice," said Homestead High School Principal Brett Bowers.
Other school districts in the North Shore stayed relatively flat with their ACT scores. Nicolet High School posted an average score of 24.5, a slight increase from the previous year's average score of 24.4. Shorewood High School students averaged a 24.5 on the test this year, compared to 24.4 percent last year. Brown Deer High School dropped slightly from an average score of 20.1 percent to 19.8 percent.
Wisconsin posted an average ACT score of 22.2, making Wisconsin second in the nation on the ACT assessment. Minnesota ranked first with a composite score of 22.9.
Brown Deer: 19.8
Whitefish Bay: 26.7
- Whitefish Bay family's treehouse is a work of art
- Whitefish Bay woman takes home grand prize at the Hottest Kitchen Entrepreneur Challenge
- Animator of 'Yellow Submarine' and other influential shows will appear in Whitefish Bay
- Whitefish Bay sleep consultant is a dream come true for North Shore parents
- After extensive cancer treatment, Whitefish Bay mom finds new purpose in ice pops
- Whitefish Bay entrepreneur wants to revolutionize school fundraisers
- Whitefish Bay's 28 minutes of fame is 'Around the Corner'
- Whitefish Bay's first ice cream social of the season is June 15
- Whitefish Bay Community Band sets summer schedule
- Memorial Day ceremony planned in Whitefish Bay