Glendale — A Glendale home caught fire Thursday after occupants left candles burning while out of their home.
According to a North Shore Fire Department news release:
NSFD was dispatched to the 5200 block of North Mohawk Avenue around 1 p.m. Thursday after a passerby reported heavy smoke coming from a townhouse style residence.
Glendale police arrived first, confirming the heavy smoke coming from second floor windows of the property. Arriving fire crews began an aggressive interior attack on the fire, finding heaving smoke and heat on the second floor. The firefighters quickly controlled the fire and a search revealed no occupants in the home.
NSFD reports no injuries to occupants or responders, though there was moderate fire damage to the second floor and smoke damage throughout the entire home — an estimated $40,000 worth.
Responders identified the origin of the fire to be several burning candles left unattended in a bedroom. The owners were not home at the time of the fire.
"North Shore Fire/Rescue would like to remind everyone of the importance of never leaving candles burning unattended," NSFD wrote in the release. "Several flame-less alternatives exist that produce light and odors similar to candles without the same dangers."
- Former legislator competing against political organizer for his old Assembly seat
- Glendale officials seek names for venues in Richard E. Maslowski Community Park
- Nicolet High School hires David Coyle as associate principal
- North Shore Police Reports, July 28, 2016
- North Shore Police Reports, July 21, 2016
- Debbie Roesner appointed to Fox Point-Bayside School Board
- North Shore Police Reports July 14, 2016
- North Shore Police Reports, July 7, 2016
- North Shore farmers markets evolve with new offerings
- Jewish nonprofit leader passes torch after 13 years