School Board selects Myrah as superintendent
Whitefish Bay takes 'interim' tag off job title
Whitefish Bay — The Whitefish Bay School Board selected Laura Myrah as the new district administrator.
Myrah has been serving as the interim superintendent since last spring after Mary Gavigan resigned to take a new position as the executive director of the Cooperative Educational Service Agency.
The board will take action on Myrah's two-year contract at its Wednesday meeting.
Prior to becoming the interim superintendent for Whitefish Bay, Myrah served as the district's director of curriculum and instruction for a number of years.
Myrah was selected because of her background in education research and effective practice, her passion for students and learning, as well as her demonstrated leadership in the district that will help move the district forward with its areas of focus and statewide initiatives, School Board President Pam Woodard said in a news release.
The decision came after the School Board in December brainstormed possible qualifications and mulled a search firm report that helped officials pick a superintendent in 2010. The board emphasized traits such as data literacy, the abilities of explaining complicated district matters to the board and dealing with state mandates. The board felt Myrah meets all of these qualifications.
"It is a unique opportunity to hire from within the system, one that does not often come along," Woodard said in the news release. "The appointment provides the continuation of a strong working relationship with all stakeholders in a dynamic environment where stability in leadership and knowledge of the challenges and focus on the future direction is essential."
— Danielle Switalski
- Whitefish Bay family's treehouse is a work of art
- Whitefish Bay woman takes home grand prize at the Hottest Kitchen Entrepreneur Challenge
- Animator of 'Yellow Submarine' and other influential shows will appear in Whitefish Bay
- Whitefish Bay sleep consultant is a dream come true for North Shore parents
- After extensive cancer treatment, Whitefish Bay mom finds new purpose in ice pops
- Whitefish Bay entrepreneur wants to revolutionize school fundraisers
- Whitefish Bay's 28 minutes of fame is 'Around the Corner'
- Whitefish Bay's first ice cream social of the season is June 15
- Whitefish Bay Community Band sets summer schedule
- Memorial Day ceremony planned in Whitefish Bay