Glendale — The student believed to have written the note which precipitated a bomb scare and evacuation of Nicolet High School on Oct. 16 has been expelled from the district.
At the second of two closed-door hearings in the last week, the School Board on Tuesday expelled the student, whose identity wasn't released by the district.
On Oct. 16 a "vague" note, perceived to be threatening, was found and prompted a schoolwide lockdown. A bomb squad sweep of the building turned up two suspicious packages. Nicolet's roughly 1,100 students were evacuated, after which classes and district activities were canceled for the day.
The two packages found by the bomb squad were later determined to be non-threatening.
The student expelled this week was later arrested and referred to juvenile authorities on a federal bomb threat charge, Glendale Police said.
"(The threat) was an action that really impacted everyone negatively in the community, as a whole," School Board President Marilyn Franklin said, "and we don't want to see any acts like this happening again. ... It was a very unfortunate situation. The School Board took it very seriously."
Superintendent Robert Kobylski said the expulsion sends an important message.
"The bottom line is safety and security of our faculty and staff are of the utmost importance to us, and we'll continue to emphasize that moving forward," Kobylski said. "Hopefully last night's actions send that message."
- Former legislator competing against political organizer for his old Assembly seat
- Glendale officials seek names for venues in Richard E. Maslowski Community Park
- Nicolet High School hires David Coyle as associate principal
- North Shore Police Reports, July 28, 2016
- North Shore Police Reports, July 21, 2016
- Debbie Roesner appointed to Fox Point-Bayside School Board
- North Shore Police Reports July 14, 2016
- North Shore Police Reports, July 7, 2016
- North Shore farmers markets evolve with new offerings
- Jewish nonprofit leader passes torch after 13 years