An electrical malfunction in a basement office at a Glendale home in the 5700 block of N.. Milwaukee River Parkway was the likely cause of a fire reported to dispatchers at 8:58 a.m. today.
First arriving crews found moderate smoke coming from the front door of the residence and found a working fire in the basement of the home. Crews made an aggressive interior fire attack and were able to quickly extinguish the fire.
Two occupants and three dogs were safely evacuated from the home without injury.
Damage, estimated at $15,000, was confined primarily to the basement of the home. There were no injuries to any fire personnel operating at the scene.
Fire crews reported hearing smoke detectors sounding on the first floor of the home when they made entry. However, no working smoke detectors were found in the basement of the home. For this reason, residents were not afforded the early detection possible had the basement detectors been operational.
The North Shore Fire Department would like to remind everyone of the importance of having working smoke detectors that are tested at least monthly on every level of a residence.
A total of 18 personnel from two engines, one truck company, two paramedic units, one basic life support unit and several command staff responded to the fire
- Whitefish Bay family's treehouse is a work of art
- Whitefish Bay woman takes home grand prize at the Hottest Kitchen Entrepreneur Challenge
- Animator of 'Yellow Submarine' and other influential shows will appear in Whitefish Bay
- Whitefish Bay sleep consultant is a dream come true for North Shore parents (2)
- After extensive cancer treatment, Whitefish Bay mom finds new purpose in ice pops (1)
- Whitefish Bay entrepreneur wants to revolutionize school fundraisers
- Whitefish Bay's 28 minutes of fame is 'Around the Corner' (2)
- Whitefish Bay's first ice cream social of the season is June 15 (1)
- Whitefish Bay Community Band sets summer schedule
- Memorial Day ceremony planned in Whitefish Bay