The parking crunch at Concordia University is expected to ease with the construction of a three-story 700-stall parking garage on the northwest corner of the campus. The Mequon Plan Commission approved the building tonight against the recommendation of staff. The building will be the first parking structure in the city.
City staff, while supporting the need for additional parking, objected to the removal of 40 specimen trees in the proposed location for the garage. Staff suggested building it elsewhere on the main campus.
The university did not support the other locations because it has plans for academic or athletic facilities in those areas.
The parking garage will be located between Lake Shore Drive and the football stadium and will include a new press box for the stadium.
University President Patrick Ferry told the commission that the university had consulted with neighbors who earlier had opposed plans for a parking garage south of Highland Road. Using a consultant, he said the university worked hard to find a solution to its parking problems that met its needs and would be supported by neighbors.
No one opposed the plan at the commission meeting, in stark contrast to a public hearing last July where neighbors spoke against a proposed master plan detailing the expansion of the university south of Highland Road beginning with a parking garage.
The temporary parking lot on Highland Road will be restored to a natural state once the new building is completed.
- Whitefish Bay family's treehouse is a work of art
- Whitefish Bay woman takes home grand prize at the Hottest Kitchen Entrepreneur Challenge
- Animator of 'Yellow Submarine' and other influential shows will appear in Whitefish Bay
- Whitefish Bay sleep consultant is a dream come true for North Shore parents
- After extensive cancer treatment, Whitefish Bay mom finds new purpose in ice pops
- Whitefish Bay entrepreneur wants to revolutionize school fundraisers
- Whitefish Bay's 28 minutes of fame is 'Around the Corner'
- Whitefish Bay's first ice cream social of the season is June 15
- Whitefish Bay Community Band sets summer schedule
- Memorial Day ceremony planned in Whitefish Bay