Brown Deer coach Mike Novak wanted his team to get out and run this season and use its depth to great advantage.
He got a textbook example of that when the Falcons flew past rebuilding Greendale, 77-38, on the road Dec. 8.
"It turned out pretty well," Novak said. "It was a nice accumulation of pressure defense, quickness and depth that turned out to be pretty lethal for them. We played 14 kids, got a good look at people, but I'm not sure if we know who we are yet. We're working pretty hard on defense and there are other aspects we need to work on, but this was still a pretty gratifying win; a good way to start the Woodland."
The Falcons (3-0 overall), will host Shorewood on Friday, Dec. 15, and then travel to New Berlin Eisenhower (3-0) on Tuesday, Dec. 19. Both games are at 7:30 p.m.
The win over Greendale was the opening shot for the newly revamped Woodland Conference. The Panthers were league runner-up last season but lost four starters to graduation.
The Falcons had an 18-7 lead at the quarter and then outscored the Panthers, 30-14, for a 48-21 halftime lead. Full-court pressure, which Novak took off two minutes into the second half, netted Brown Deer many easy baskets.
"We really don't have many big-name players," Novak said, "but we have a lot of athletes and we'll have to play as a team to be successful. The defense is something we can control."
Derrick Washington had 18 and Kevin Wild 12 for the Falcons, who had 12 players score.
Brown Deer 77, Greendale 38
Greendale (7-14-6-11-38) T.J. Jensen 2, Jake Neusteder 9, Nick Piotrowski 11, Brandon Redman 4, Jake Rehm 4, Jesse Domenget 1, Alex Merg 3, Igor Lukic 4. Field goals 14; free throws 6-8 (75%); three-point goals-Piotrowski (3), Merg.
Brown Deer (18-30-10-19-77) Taylor Simpson 2, Jonathan Thompson 6, Michael Lee 2, William Sherrard 8, Kevin Wild 12, Michael Farrington 4, Alex McCune 4, Shawn Morris 8, Justin Austin 5, Greg Davis 3, Ashton Crawley 5, Derrick Washington 18. Field goals 33; free throws 7-7 (100%); three-point goals-Wild (2), Austin, Washington.
- Former legislator competing against political organizer for his old Assembly seat
- North Shore Police Reports, July 28, 2016
- North Shore Police Reports, July 21, 2016
- Rock climbing wall, trampolines might come to Brown Deer business park
- NOW's user submitted stories, photos will be discontinued in early August
- North Shore Police Reports July 14, 2016
- North Shore Police Reports, July 7, 2016
- North Shore farmers markets evolve with new offerings
- #BestSummerEverNOW: Share your 2016 summer photos of you in the Milwaukee suburbs
- Brown Deer man accused of molesting, photographing 11-year-old stepdaughter