Whitefish Bay - The Harry and Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center, 6255 N. Santa Monica Blvd., is accepting entries for the Holocaust Youth Essay Contest.
Students are asked to describe two lessons they have learned from studying the Holocaust. Students are encouraged to provide historical information and background of an event, group or person from the Holocaust that inspired each of these lessons. The essay contest is open to all students in grades seven to nine (Division I) and 10 to12 (Division II).
This year's topic for the Holocaust Youth Essay Contest is: "During World War II, many countries were occupied or influenced by the Nazis. Discuss and give examples of how people in at least one country helped Jews. What do you think you would do in a similar situation and why?" Only essay-form entries will be accepted. Entries cannot exceed 1,200 words and must represent the independent effort of the writer. Essays must be typed or printed, double-spaced, on one side of the paper only. They will be judged on originality, content and quality of expression.
The essay must be accompanied by a title page containing the following information: student's name, home address, telephone number and email; name of school, address, telephone number, teacher's name and the grade. No pages in the essay should include their name or any family names or personal identification.
Entries must be postmarked no later than 4 p.m. Feb. 18 and mailed to Harry and Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center, 6255 N. Santa Monica Blvd., Whitefish Bay, WI, 53217, Attn: Judges.
The top two winners in each division will win a trip to the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C. Their school will receive a book.
The winners will be announced and presented at 3 p.m. April 7 at the communitywide Yom Hashoah Commemoration (Day of Holocaust Remembrance) at the center.
For information, call (414) 967-8217 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Whitefish Bay family's treehouse is a work of art
- Whitefish Bay woman takes home grand prize at the Hottest Kitchen Entrepreneur Challenge
- Animator of 'Yellow Submarine' and other influential shows will appear in Whitefish Bay
- Whitefish Bay sleep consultant is a dream come true for North Shore parents (2)
- After extensive cancer treatment, Whitefish Bay mom finds new purpose in ice pops (1)
- Whitefish Bay entrepreneur wants to revolutionize school fundraisers
- Whitefish Bay's 28 minutes of fame is 'Around the Corner' (2)
- Whitefish Bay's first ice cream social of the season is June 15 (1)
- Whitefish Bay Community Band sets summer schedule
- Memorial Day ceremony planned in Whitefish Bay