Fox Point — Vance Dalzin, current superintendent of the Williams Bay School District in Walworth County, was selected unanimously by the School Board to become the district’s new superintendent, according to a district news release.
He will succeed superintendent Rachel Boechler in August. In January Boechler announced her resignation to continue her work with Seattle-based nonprofit Center for Courage & Renewal, where she is currently board chair.
Working with search firm Hazard Young & Attea, the district began with a pool of 28 candidates, six of whom were interviewed. The School Board interviewed Dalzin twice and a group of district teachers, administrators, support staff and parents interviewed him once. Stakeholders in Williams Bay were interviewed as well.
“Dr. Dalzin told us he was attracted to our position because of the district’s tradition of high student achievement and its progressive approach to educating students,” School Board President Debbie Friberg said in the release.
Dalzin grew up in the Milwaukee area and earned his bachelor’s degree at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. He completed his graduate studies at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Edgewood College in Madison. He was an assistant principal and later high school principal at the Wilmot Union High School District before becoming superintendent of Williams Bay in 2011.
“Obviously Fox Point Bayside is an attractive district, a high achieving district with progressive things, but I was really sold when I visited the schools,” Dalzin said, addressing the community at a School Board meeting Tuesday. “I watched faculty and staff interact with kids. I watched a lot of care and concern, and I saw an elementary principal who knew every kid by name who walked by.”
Dalzin begins in August with a starting salary of $139,000.
- Fox Point extends hours for voter registration on June 28
- Fox Point holds open house, pool opening this weekend
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee in 2016
- North Shore Public Forum: Against weed killer; school district shared services
- Kravit, Fonstad elected to Fox Point Village Board
- Fox Point-Bayside accepts offer on Dunwood School property
- As Fox Point Pool ages, village assesses options
- Fox Point residents concerned about Dunwood development
- Fox Point trustee candidates weigh in on future of pool, Dunwood School property
- Grocer, apartments and memory care pitched for old Dunwood School site