Five middle schools in the North Shore have been singled out as Exemplary Middle School by the Association of Wisconsin School Administrators.
Bayside, Glen Hills, Lake Shore and Steffen middle schools and Shorewood Intermediate School were all notified of the recognition last month. They are among 78 schools in the state that were honored.
The criteria for the recognition includes at least one of the following, according to the association's website:
• rapid improvement in reading or math scores in the past school year;
• reading or math scores in the top 10 percent in past year; and
• rapid improvement in scores in reading or math with special designation for rapid improvement in schools comprised of a high poverty population (greater than 33 percent free and reduced lunch).
The award also recognizes the principals of those schools: Don Galster of Bayside Middle School; Haydee Smith of Glen Hills Middle School; Carolyn Wilson of Lake Shore Middle School; Deborah Anderson of Steffen Middle School; and Anthony Strancke of Shorewood Intermediate School.
The schools are eligible for the 2010-11 Wisconsin Middle School of Excellence Award, which will be announced in February.
- Mary Buckley
- Whitefish Bay family's treehouse is a work of art
- Whitefish Bay woman takes home grand prize at the Hottest Kitchen Entrepreneur Challenge
- Animator of 'Yellow Submarine' and other influential shows will appear in Whitefish Bay
- Whitefish Bay sleep consultant is a dream come true for North Shore parents (2)
- After extensive cancer treatment, Whitefish Bay mom finds new purpose in ice pops (1)
- Whitefish Bay entrepreneur wants to revolutionize school fundraisers
- Whitefish Bay's 28 minutes of fame is 'Around the Corner' (2)
- Whitefish Bay's first ice cream social of the season is June 15 (1)
- Whitefish Bay Community Band sets summer schedule
- Memorial Day ceremony planned in Whitefish Bay