Fire causes $27,000 damage to Brown Deer apartment

June 30, 2011

A resident was overcome by smoke and taken to an area hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries in a fire reported to the North Shore Fire Department shortly before 9 p.m. yesterday.

Upon arrival, firefighters encountered heavy smoke in a hallway in the second floor of an apartment building at 8901 N. Park Plaza Court. Because of the conditions, additional fire crews and apparatus were summoned as the building was being evacuated.

Fire attack crews encountered a fire with heavy smoke conditions in the kitchen of a second floor apartment.

The fire, quickly brought under control and extinguished, was contained to the kitchen area of the apartment. Damage to the apartment and apartment hallway is estimated at $27,000.

There were no injuries to any fire personnel operating at the scene.

At this time, the cause of the fire appears to be from cooking left unattended on a stove.

The North Shore Fire Department would like to remind everyone of the dangers of unattended cooking. According to the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA), unattended cooking accounts for 40% of all residential structure fires and 36% of all home civilian injuries related to fire.

The residents of the apartment were able to take advantage of the North Shore Fire Department's "First Night On Us" program which works with North Shore area hotels to provide shelter for the first night at no cost to those displaced by fire.

A total of 22 personnel from four engines, one truck company, one paramedic unit, one basic life support unit and several command staff responded to the fire. The North Shore Fire Department also received mutual aid from the Mequon and Thiensville Fire Departments to assist with coverage during fire operations.

Most Popular

Advertisement

Local Crime Map

CONNECT    

Advertisement

Latest Photo Galleries