Re-run: Deadly Killer

I'm going to re-run this blog entry from last year.  It keeps applying, and not everyone acts upon the dangers.


Two years ago this week, I got a frantic call from my wife at lunchtime. She was in our basement and one of my gadgets was beeping. That gadget was this Explosive Gas / Carbon Monoxide detector from Kidde.

Time to get out of the house and call 911. Three minutes later, some of Whitefish Bay's finest were in my basement. Turns out the furnace was spewing out high levels of Carbon Monoxide, a deadly, colorless and odorless gas. The firemen killed the furnace and began airing out my now, very cold house.

Had we not had that CO detector, this story could have ended very differently, especially had it occurred while we slept. This sort of thing doesn't just happen to the downtrodden, heating their homes improperly. It even happens to Whitefish Bay residents with properly maintained furnaces.

The moral of this story is: Get a CO detector, for crying out loud. They're a cheap $25 of life insurance. -- And if you have one already, give it a test after you read this. We'll all sleep better if you do. 

Run over to Village Ace, and replace one of your smoke detectors with a dual CO/Smoke detector.

Make sure you read other items:

  1. Fargoans .. way tougher
  2. WFB Election Update III
  3. Buckley for WFB Trustee?
  4. My First Grown-up WFB Christmas
  5. Help out WFB - Shop Here!
  6. Drugs & Whitefish Bay
  7. Grab Bag: Lots of WFB Updates
  8. Here's an idea: WFB Wi-Fi

  ***** Don't want to keep checking for news on this blog?  Have it delivered to your inbox, so you won't miss anything.  Free.  Click here.


This site uses Facebook comments to make it easier for you to contribute. If you see a comment you would like to flag for spam or abuse, click the "x" in the upper right of it. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use.

Page Tools


Latest Posts